Saturday 9 April 2011

Circular No 492






Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. 
Caracas, 9 April 2011 No.492
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends, 
Here is an article on our good friend and calypso singer, “BANDIT” 
Would like to see some more reports on “Short Pants” and others.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is the old Circular for you perusal: 
Caracas, 2 February 2002. Circular No.12 
Dear Friends; You must have thought that I passed away!! No luck, here is the circular!! 
How are you faithful oldboys!!!. Again for the weekly circular written and made with the intention of cluttering your email box.!!!!.
By now you I am sure are expecting news on the WEB page, I am!!!. I have hopes that one of us takes up the challenge I set forward in my last circular. I am sure Richard Galt is working on a short story for circular No. ??. 
We started our monthly get together, dinner with the 1958 old boys, and the second group of younger guys, 1960 and friends.
I know you are keeping up with the Venezuelan news and how our president is going to revolutionize the country, so I am not writing about it, of course if any of you want private information I shall be glad to oblige personally. Sometimes I shall include local photos.
Does anyone have the address of Richard Anderson in Florida??? Matias Fedak matiasvfedak@telcel.net.ve, would like to contact him. 
Another irregular event that happened at the Mount: From Christopher Knowles (1960). (looking at our class photo and the fence)
Lighting once struck one of the metal posts of that fence. We were in the Study Hall, aka Form One classroom, which is about twenty metres ( in those days it was not at about twenty meters but at twenty five yards), or so away from the fence and up one floor,. The noise was a terrific crack, and every hair on my head and arm stood up.
(There was a great echo as we started to shout and tired to find out where the lighting stuck, maybe to see a great ball of fire???). “The parenthesis is my addition to the original paragraph”. 
Here I am continuing the who is who, thanks to Roger Henderson: 
4. Steven Anderson works in Real Estate in Trinidad 
This circular is going to Fr. Augustine, Fr. Benedict and Fr. Cuthbert at the mount so if you need or have information please write them or me (to include it in a future circular) feel free to write. I am sure that they would enjoy news from you. 
God Bless 
Ladislao 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Marie-Anne & Derek Philipps
3 abr 2011  
Dear Ladislao
Firstly my apologies for not getting back to you sooner as I have been away with work etc.
As far as I can see most of the names are correct if my memory serves me rightly.
The number 15 student which is obscured, I think his surname was Baragwanath (although I’m not positive on this)
Number 22 is Wally Gillezeau who was a good friend of mine and we used to go spear fishing down the islands.
However before we were due to go on one trip, he was tragically killed in a motor bike accident.
I just received your latest newsletter, and it’s good to hear the up to date news about guys I went to school with.
Keep up the good work!
God Bless
Derek 
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
1960 Summer Olympics
The Games of the XVII Olympiad were held in 1960 in Rome, Italy.
In 1958 the West Indies joined together to become a Confederation. Because of this, a West Indian Team was entered in the Olympics. Trinidad and Tobago however contributed four athletes to the team.
Clifton Bertrand- Athletics
Clyde Rimple- Cycling
Richard Bennett- Sailing
David Farfan- Sailing (maybe one of our old boys??)
The British West Indies won a total of two bronze medals, none of which was attributed to Trinidad & Tobago. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
1960 Sports Day - Slow Bicycle Race
...2011 feb 9
From: Nigel Boos <nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca> 
Laz,
Gregory Farfan had submitted these pictures some time ago, and I've just found them again.
Don't know if you've ever seen them, but possibly, they'll do better if offered as a group.
I believe I even saw this "race", such as it was.
It must have been 1959 or 1960, and I think the idea of the "race" was to see who took the longest to reach the Finish Line.
If ever a rider, in balancing, fell off his bike, he was out.
If he turned the front wheel in such a way that he was not, in the opinion of the judges, aiming at the Finish Line, he was also "out".
I believe that Robert Huggins must have won the race.
Nigel 
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
Photo of Mount St Benedict Old Boys 1962 ????
"Farfan, Gregory" <Gregory_Farfan@Sagicor.com>
Thursday, April 30, 2009 3:56:58 PM 
Hello to you guys, 
The other day I found these photos of the Abbey School and my class which I believe is 1963 or there about.
We will need some help in placing the names to the faces, however I have some names and we could start I have are as follows. 
Picture No.1. Robin Ramlogan, N. Moffat , J. Pugh, Stephen Tempro, Richard Anderson ,Luis Mezzava, Maurice Lloyd, Frank Ambard, Vaughan Mc Mullen, Paul Stein, R. Hadeed, G. Ahow, R. Vlitos, A. Prats, J Hale, J. Camacho, Patrick Devaux , Eion O’Connor, Desmond Devaux, A. Beranoch, R.De Verteuil, Humberto Angel Luongo Marquez, Cabello Pietrini, Larry Scott, John Vlitos, Peter Knox, Jeremy De Barry,Robin Hart, A . Caracciolo, John H. Dulien,
Fabio Amice Martinez . Class teacher Mr Lionel D. Tyrrell.
THIS PHOTO NEVER ARRIVED 
Picture No2. Gregory Farfan, Bruce Hutton and Marc De Verteuil Start of cycle race on sports day.
THIS PHOTO NEVER ARRIVED 
Picture No3. Scout Band, Nigel that tall guy with glasses beating bass looks like you, and I am sure you will know the others.
THIS PHOTO NEVER ARRIVED 
Picture No.4. Robert Huggins in front with Bruce Huggins behind. I am out of the race, must be buss ass.
THIS PHOTO NEVER ARRIVED 
Picture No.5. This looks like the start of the race, from picture No.4 Going left to right is Huggins, Hutton yet to start his foot on the ground, Farfan, looks like Philip De Pass, and this last guy I do not know.
This photo is include but the resolution is poor, please Gregory, resend with 500kb file 
Picture No.6. This looks like an earlier photo I am seeing, Costelloe, Laughlin, Robin Ramlogan, Steve Anderson, Peter Webster, Charles De Labastide, O’Connor to name a few people.  
THIS PHOTO NEVER ARRIVED 
Picture No.7. Is the start of another cycle race with Philip De Pass, Robert Huggins, Bruce Hutton, and myself.
This photo is include but the resolution is poor, please Gregory, resend with 500kb file 
This looks like only day boys rode races, these were our bikes to get to school, remember the bell on right side of the handle??.  
Regards,
Gregory Farfan
Sagicor Life Inc
Alyce Glen, 
Phone: 868-632-1970/ 3289. Ext.331
Cell.   868-681-3609.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------.
Another 'golden oldie' photo!
...090814
From: Nigel P. Boos <nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca> 
Brian,
It does my heart good to see such a wonderful development arising from some old photographs taken half-a-century ago.
Who would ever have imagined such a thing?
In case you may not have already done so, I'm taking the liberty of copying your delightful email to the Guyanese OB's, just to keep everyone in the picture.
Isn't life wonderful? 
Nigel P. Boos 
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 14-Aug-09, at 6:21 AM, Brian Gonsalves wrote: 
Dear Barbara 
Following up the series of emails to/from Nigel Boos, relating to old Mount St Benedict boys, I am one of the boys from BG (real 'oldies' now) that owe a great debt of hospitality to your wonderful parents, who looked after us so hospitably when we at MSB with your two brothers, John and David in 1945/46. 
The 'BG boys' included : Clive Bettencourt-Gomes (now living in Spain) Trevor Evelyn (now living in Canada), my late brother, Bunny Gonsalves (died of cancer in 1991), my cousin, Terrence (now living in Canada), Anthony Willems (died in the UK some years ao), his brother Johnny Willems (now living in Guyana) and myself, Brian (living in England).
After MSB, both your brothers, John & David, completed their Schooling in England with my brother, cousin and myself until 1955 and I continued to see David on my periodic trips to Trinidad in the 1970s/80s. 
David, his wife (Barbara) and their two daughters (Clarissa ? and ??) plus son (Darren) spent a memorable holiday with my family and I in Kenya in the early 1980's.  
The original photographs (I think must have been taken by one of your family -  perhaps your father? - at the various 'outings', eg. to Maracus beach) ...
The photos were sent to my father, Bernard Gonsalves in BG  (a keen horse-racing companion and good friend of your father's) and when he died, my sister, Brenda (who now lives in Barbados) collected all the old albums and kept them safe with her.  
While I was in Barbados last year, Brenda handed over some of the old albums to me, which included the old 1945/46 Trinidad photos that have ended up on the MSB website.   
If you or any of your family are ever visiting the UK, please get in touch with me so that I can try to repay some of the very generous hospitality given by your parents to the 'Boys from BG' all those years ago .... 
Kindest regards
Brian Gonsalves  
------------------------------------------------------------------. 
From: Barbara Costa [barbarafarfan@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 3:07 AM 
Thanks Kathleen,
These photos bring back fond memories of the boys from BG. 
My brothers John and David were also at the Mount with them and are in photos. 
I wonder how many of these oldies are still around and where the photos came from.
Barbara 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:08:36 -0400 
Brian, 
I'm going to send these pictures to Gregory Farfan, who undoubtedly, must be related to the Farfans of your youth.
I'm sure he's like to know the story.
He too is an Old Boy of MSB. 
Gregory, 
Hi there. Look, ol' man - I have a great story for you.  
It appears that, as a result of the involvement of England in WWII, it was not possible for boys from Guyana to go to school in England.
Ships were being blown up, etc., and the boys were eventually sent to school at Mt. St. Benedict, at least until the war had ended, when, in 1946, they were then sent to the UK to complete their education.  
Apparently, during their time at MSB, they befriended two Farfan boys, David and John, who lived in Cascade. and when holidays arrived, they were all invited by Mr. & Mrs. ("Lauree") Farfan to stay at their home for the duration.
A few old photographs have survived and I thought you'd like to see them.  
Nigel  
(The staff of the Circular would like to see them TOO!!)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 13-Aug-09, at 10:51 AM, Brian Gonsalves wrote: 
Nigel
Thank you for tracking down Terence- and for providing me with his correct email address .... 
Mrs Farfan was a truly lovely lady who together with her husband, Ainsley, made us feel a part of their family and completely welcome in their home, whenever they could 'kidnap' us away from MSB - which was as often as they could arrange with the Monks.
I'm copying this email to Terence and Clive as the photo might bring back nostalgic memories of days long gone by, when we were all (reasonably) happy, carefree and over 63 years younger!.
Regards
Brian   
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
We have lost communication with Giuseppe Braggio, CLASS 1960.
Matias von Fedak, CLASS 1960 and Giovanni Marini CLASS 1960. 
Hope that no mishap has occurred to them, can anyone corroborate??? 
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
Mount Inside No. 10 page 12
61GF0001SPORTS, Slow Bike Race
61GF0002SPORTS, Slow Bike Race
61GF0003SPORTS, Slow Bike Race




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.