Saturday 4 June 2011

Circular No 500







Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 4 June 2011 No.500
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
We have reached the magic number of 500, who would have imagined it?
This has been rough but fun, you have made it possible.
I would like to invite those that helped it to happen to send in a short note answering the following question, “ Was the weather reasonable good??” jajajaj
------------------------------------------------------------------
Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 30 of March 2002. Circular No.20
Dear Friends,
Before all let me apologize to Michael D´Ornellas for not mention his catalytic part in my circular, No.18. He has kindly given us access to the nice photos used.
Here is another account of the “A Man of all Seasons”, by Rafael Echeverria.
Yes Ladislao !!! Thank you for the photograph which I'll treasure ... I had seen this photo .. but time and distance does it job ... I had lost it !!!
I was thrilled to see the photo again and remember some Mount faces ... I particularly remember Richard Clerk, a great individual ... Michael Azar .. a great guy !!! .. tough and generous ! .. Don Mitchell .. he was always "cool" ... Michael de Verteuil, always a true gentleman !!! ... and yes I remember King Henry VIII .. played by the Paul Zeven .. the Dutch blond haired guy .... I remember Baby Joe in his character of "The Common Man" .. he was just great ...among the girls the oriental girl Myling Achong .. . she performed great acting as "Margaret" .. Thomas Moore's daughter ... I still remember her lines regarding the confrontation with her Father ...Sir Thomas would not surrender to the approval of King Henry's divorce and follow "his Church" and renounce to his Catholic Faith ... Margaret was making a great effort to save his Father from his own "stubbornness". One of the most dramatic scenes from the play.
The Second Photograph is also a very important scene .. I remember .. I think it was the moment Sir Thomas is submitted to trial ... and condemned ... The Common Man (Baby Joe) reads the Death Sentence ....
I played the Spanish Ambassador (Signor Chapüìs) and my "assistant" (he always walked two steps behind me on stage) ... his name was Norman Smith .. he was from Cali, Colombia, but his father was an American...
I remember well "my heated discussion" with Chancellor Cromwell (Michael Azar) in the presence of Richard Clerk (I don't remember his part .. but he was an excellent person .. a great sportsman .. a good soccer player and a good friend). Signor Chapüìs was desperately trying to save Sir Thomas´s life through diplomatic efforts from the Spanish Queen ... My last line in the play .. after I left King Henry's Palace and holding an audience with Cromwell was "... This man is utterly unreliable !!!" ... and everybody laughed in the audience .. I was supposed (by instructions from Brother Oswald) ... to "stress" my Spanish accent even more ... as I left the stage in my last appearance.
I remember Don Mitchell (although we were not that close in Mount.) He was a good guy. He played a great role as The Duke of Norfolk. I believe he was chosen because he was always so naturally "distinguished".. Please Ladislao .. send my BEST REGARDS to all my fellow actors in "A Man For All Seasons" !!! ... and YES .. it was THE FIRST TIME girls were allowed to act in Mount's Season Play. I don't recall that there was a third woman apart from the two girls (who portrayed Margaret and Elizabeth,-Sir Thomas Moore's Daughter & Wife ... respectively). Not only were they both beautiful girls but their acting was SUPERB !!!! ...
Thank You Ladislao .. please give my regards to ALL ....give them my phone numbers and e-mail ... I would really love to meet them all again ... that is just a great way to enrich life !!!!
Please make these comments part of your next Report !!!!
Blessings to ALL
Rafael Echeverría
Here I am continuing the who is who, thanks to Roger Henderson:
10 Michael Farah works in Trinidad
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On The Galts¨Richard and Randall
Neither has been a prolific writer, or maybe their computer has been down, you name it.
As you know, or may not know, Angie has been unwell for a while now with Spinal Stenosis and another disease which was misdiagnosed as Essential Tremors for the past two and a half years.
She recently had back surgery for her Spinal Stenosis in Cuba.
This was a success, but the essential tremors have now been diagnosed, and confirmed to be Parkinson's disease.
She is recovering well from the back surgery, but still needs rehabilitation and treatment for this and Parkinson's disease.
Medical treatment can be very expensive and has put a financial strain on the family.
This fund raiser is an attempt to raise money to cover the expenses related to Angie's ongoing treatment and recent surgery.
We hope that you will be able to come out to this event, and we continue to thank those of you who have been a constant support over the last two and a half years.
--------------------------------------------------------.
This news was from 2009, any updates???
----------------------------------------------------------.
As to Richard Galt, nothing has been heard from him and the Circular would like to have a friend or family member help us to give us sign of his wellbeing, otherwise we must place him in the suspected or deceased list.
It is interesting that the only photos that we have in the internet are those published by the Circular.
Is it possible that there is a change of identity issue??
----------------------------------------------------------------------.

Re. Circular No. 401, The Abbey School MSB

Sunday, July 26, 2009 3:38 PM
From: "Shaun" <scg1@tstt.net.tt>
The class photo labelled 1972 is an inaccurate date. I say this because I was there from 1974-79 and I recognize a few faces.
The Chandler Twins (#28 & 33 one is Adrian)
#30 is Gary Lamkin, #26 is Wayne Hackett #23 James Samaroo
Perhaps you can contact them
Regards,
Shaun Gianetti
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

RE: Circular No. 351, The Abbey School MSB

Friday, September 12, 2008 3:46 PM
From: "Roger Gillezeau" <roger.gillezeau@ansamcal.com>
Dear Ladislao
I’m not sure if you still have not received clarification on students in the 2 photos sent.
Nevertheless, here's my input:
photo #1 (Prep A 1963): #1 Peter "Smiley" Boland (deceased), #9 Wally Gillezeau (deceased)
photo #2 (Form 2(?) 1965) same class; my brother Wally is correctly identified but our name has been misspelt.
#23 is Christian Gurley, not Dennis, who was older. #25 was Fergus Young.
Kind regards
Roger Gillezeau
63-67
65UN0002CLASS1968, 63UN0001CLASS1968
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: "Brent Gonsalves" <bregon@tstt.net.tt>
Date: 23 May 07:40 (PDT)
Ladislao,
Let us remain in contact.
The circulars about Abbey School are quite large and take a long time to download on my computer.
This is the only reason for taking me off the mailing list.
Brent
Welcome back to the Circular, I have been told that you have a new computer and that the internet services have improved in speed. Ladislao
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
guildner@comcast.net
19 Aug
Dear Ladislao;
There were two lay teachers –
Mrs. Shoop (I don't know if that is the spelling. but it is the pronunciation.)
The other was male.
He liked to throw blackboard erasers and cut a couple of boys' foreheads with the wood that the eraser was glued to.
Any one remember them?
Harry G,
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
Photos:
Mount Inside No. 10 page 20
70UN0001CLASS1972, please check out the graduation date
09RG0001RGAWFE, Randall Galt and wife
63UN0001CLASS1968, Please check out the names.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.