Saturday 15 January 2011

Circular No 480




Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. 
Caracas, 15 January 2011 No.480
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends, 
For those who have to read the Circular through the BLOG, please send me your email address, as I may not have it in my mailing contacts.
Remember that I do not have 100% of Nigel´s time, since he started working regularly.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Calling on the Circular helpers to locate the following old boys: 
Sellier, Patrick,   (868) 637 4652
Neville Tanya ?????
The Circular needs your help.
In my class, I have lost two Classmates and with them their untold tales and photographic memories.
Do not wait longer, write your DUES for this year. They are only 50 words o maybe 10 sentences, jajajaj.
----------------------------------------------------------------.
Couple of lines by John Gioannetti on recollections: 
Michael Torry constantly tormented me. 
Finally one night as we were leaving the Study Hall I went for Michael's face with a pair of Geometry Dividers.
Thank God, Neville Tanya , caught me.
Michael and I never became friends at MSB, but he never taunted me again
We did become friends later as my neighbour and friend was Michael's Best Friend
But stop and think, I had to almost blind another boy, to receive any peace,
I hate violence and was throwing up after the incident at the thought of what I had almost done another human being. 
Maybe because I was also expecting reprisals.
As for Neville Tanya, 
He was the only person that ever stood up for me.
He unfortunately was only there for 1 year while I was there. 
Venezuelans
My mother was born in Venezuela and came to Trinidad when she was 9, she was always proud of her Venezuelan Citizenship and never gave it up.
I even have a Venezuelan Passport.
My father’s mother is also Venezuelan
Unfortunately my mother tried to befriend the Venezuelan Boys, and let it be know my Panolness, for want a better word
Result the Trinis did not accept me as a Trini and the Panols would not either, I was in no man’s land
One carnival she invited 3 Vene home for the weekend, so they would not have to go to Mayaro
I personally did not think it was a good idea, but I had no choice.
They came to our house in Maraval.
I did not hang out with them as I had my own friends, and certainly did not want the two to meet.
After about two days, my mother decided they were making a mess of her house, and said she would ask them to leave.
I begged and begged telling her it was two more days, and just to bear it as the results would be catastrophic.
But she did it anyway.
When she asked them to leave they refused to, she threatened to call the police.
They cussed her up and left.
Pedro Coscarat was one for sure, maybe the Older Garner and or Moffie, but apart from Pedro, I can’t be certain of the others.
Well the whole Ven community took offence to this, I was probably hated more than Hugo Chavez, and now I was open season for them. 
(I, your editor, had the same problem. I was told to leave my Venezuelan friends as I was not learning English; when I did it drastically, all turned sour, ed)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neil Charles wrote: 
John, I read your bad experience at the Mount and had no idea, but why didn't you tell your parents?
Most of my free time was spent in the pool doing laps or practicing on the field, we all went through some bad experiences with other students and some of the priests and staff,
Mc Intosh was the cause for me to leave the Mount, he wanted to bring back whippings and I would not stand for it. 
Still interested in buying a house in Trinidad, but I am building another house for rent and planning a trip to India. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Gioannetti replied:
Neil, I did speak out, I spoke much.
The more I spoke out the more I got beaten.
Does anyone remember the word "Hala Bola"
My mother had a terrible temper, and I also had the brunt of it at home.
Here is an example, she one day touched the gate post backing the car out, the tiniest of scratches on the old chrome bumper. 
For that I got a frozen steak in my head.
It was as if you had cut a hard boiled egg in half and crazy glued it to my skull.
You think that is the only incident?
She once went behind my brother who is 7 yrs younger than I am, I flew at her and physically attacked her.
The only time I have ever retaliated physically to either of my parents.
I told her beat me but leave him as he was only a baby. I got my wish. 
I am being told about Christian charity, it was not that bad, I have hate and anger issues, I should have got involved in sports.
I have dyslexia in the worst way, so I was not a teacher’s pet
I have an odd fear of a ball flying towards my face because I cannot focus on it, guess I can’t box either
I got the shitty end at school, and vacations were as bad.
Paul Quesnel and Tony Strissiver both knew me before I went to Mount.
That first house when you look down from Mount, where Gregory and Dominic Farfan parents lived. 
Isabel and Godfrey, they would take me in at holidays.
They and Joe and Maria Habib. 
I used to use that valley to go to Auntie Isabel, and she would feed me because I had not had a meal in days.
I would leave Mount and go straight down to Monos.
My parents would send messages to come home for Christmas etc.
No fucking way. I was in an environment I understood and could not only survive but excel.
I never swam competitively at Mount and up to today, I hate pools.
I used SCUBA gear by the age of 9, by age 12,  
I was swimming in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and Grand Boca, I would easily spend 8 hours a day in open water.
By 16, I would work during holidays for a commercial diving company.
By 18, within a year of leaving Mount, I was doing Motor Racing School at Brands Hatch, driving Single Seater Racing Cars.
This was at the time the Premier Motor Racing School in the world.
I paid for my lessons with money I had won in a bet with my godfather that I could get a distinction in mathematics, and working illegally on a Student Visa, in England cleaning toilets.
I knew I had the qualifications for cleaning toilets as my head had often been used as a toilet bowl brush at MSB
Despite dropping out of school, and with no University Education. I accomplished the following: 
I taught problem children who were all able to get "O" level passes in Maths, despite never having passed a maths exam before.
Every now someone come up and says, hey remember me I went to university because of you.
Every time IBM had a problem Installation, I would be called to fix and run it. 
IBM personnel would come back after months of intensive training in NA and ask me to teach them.
I have taught people to use computers as a trainer and lecturer, through the Caribbean, America, and Australia.
Even taught a former teacher of mine, Tony Strissiver
I have had articles published in Computer Magazines with International Circulation based in NY, Colorado and England
I have ridden the Great Ocean Road, seen the 12 Apostles, and survived in the some very hostile environments, despite motorcycle break downs which if I could not fix using my own wits would have been a goner.
Within 3 months of teaching myself to sail I could get a berth on practically any racing boat in T&T.
I was able to take a small boat about 28ft and go up the Grenadines with only one other person.
We had neither Radio, Engine or any electricity for night time navigation crew. 
At 50 I have embarked on a new career, I have started correspondence school, with the Leading Photography School.
I only handed in 2 assignments first one I got an A+, second one an A.
The school has also recently started distributing the material in a different format, based partly on my recommendations of using up to date technology.
I actually took the initiative and converted my own before they started doing it.
I now actually work for a MSB old boy, he did not hire me, an ex IBMer who is his consultant and wanted someone with both technical and artistic skills hired me.
He knows I have an extremely low shit tolerance level (He calls it a hair trigger temper).
Because of this he is kind enough to let me work at home.
I only go into the office when we need to meet and discuss something.
Paul Quesnel has put some business my way last year.
But apart from the above, I have done very well with what I have, I never asked anyone from MSB for anything except on 1 occasion. 
When I got back from England, I went to MSB and asked Fr.Cuthbert for a school recommendation I because I needed it as, I was applying for a job as a programmer.
He said, why should I give you a recommendation, you were not a good student, you were not good at sports, nobody liked you.
I don't have anything good to say about you.
I told him I was a Scout and good at maths and he could check the records.  
He reluctantly relented and gave me one. 
You want me to be part of something, fine, but on certain ground rules.
I have the option to say what I want. 
Unlike many MSB products, my self esteem comes from within, I am and never was one of the flock that needs the others to survive.
I have certainly proved that. 
You people have it bass awkward (that's dyslexic for what we call non dyslexic people ASS BACKWARDS) 
I have accomplished what I have accomplished, despite MSB, not because of it. 
I am a Catholic, possibly one of the worst Catholics, but a Catholic, my faith is a personal thing between me and my maker.
Or basically calling me a liar or someone that exaggerates.
It’s the same thing regardless of what ever flowery words you give it. 
This now become a personal issue. 
Despite Cautions I am copying John Perreira, nothing here is slanderous, and I don't want Fr. Augustine’s name sullied, when in my opinion he did his best to protect me. 
I am accessible to all. Nothing to hide. 
Puggy (Keith Alleyne) had it right on Friday Night, when he saw me and said you still a rebel without a cause.
Puggy you impressed me, I never figured you out as such an insightful person,  
Please keeping patting each other on the back, and confirming to each other what well adjusted humans you are.
You want to send me emails, go ahead. I'll read what I want and respond as I feel 
Keep it in the family! Please! , this does not apply to me I have always been and will always be a loner, did not need u then certainly don't need you now, and I doubt very much if I will be invited to any more reunions,
Oh Shit what will I do with all that free time, who will I drink with? Help I am having an anxiety attack. Ok relax its over now. 
Now my yardstick may be different, physical strength or having money, or high position, don't impress.  
I judge by my rules, I don't give a rats ass for your rules, so I will never think like you, and you will never convert me, so this is not macho BS, but I was a bigger man at mount than any of my school mates were, I am a bigger man today. 
--------------------------------------------------------------.
Now to the photos. 
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
--------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
57WK0061YICHRGRP, Yip Chuck and group.
10LK2814LLADRO, LLadro figurine from Valencia Spain
03MF0001MFEGRP, Matias von Fedak and friends.
60IF0014UNKNOWNS, Please help the Circular.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.