Saturday 21 May 2011

Circular No 498










Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 21 May 2011 No.498
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

LATEST RELEASE FROM THE "BANDIT"  David de Castro
11 May 2011

The calypso bandit coming at you live and direct with past and present songs.
Enjoy and remember downloads are free.
Click on link. Pass it on.
Thank you. "the bandit"

http://www.myspace.com/calypsobandit/music
-----------------------------------------------------------------.
Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 16 of March 2002. Circular No.18
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

Last 10th of March was the birthday of my daughter Victoria “Viki”, the reason for the slowing down of the last circular.
Also we were lucky to have Bertrand Piccard with us here in Caracas. I shall send you a photograph taken at Plaza Altamira where he did an interview for local TV with interviews and propaganda for the Swiss Embassy.

I am sending out a call to those who have not shown signs of having received any of these circulars.
The practical reason is simple; I have difficulties in sending the circular to some addresses as these are reported to have errors or are undeliverable by the servers. Once they are returned they clutter my email box, instead of cluttering the email box of the recipient!!!. When my email box gets full, the system gets blocked and I loose track of further information. Help!!!
I have copies of my past circulars for those that do not have email these I can send it by FAX or snail mail. Check your files and tell me if you have some that have not arrived.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Another event that happened at the Mount, by Don Mitchell

Hi Ladislao,

I do remember the play. It was "A Man for All Seasons" written by the British playwright Robert Bolt. I do not remember all the roles or details. The year must have been 1962 or 1963. I believe that I played the part of the Duke of Norfolk, some sort of a judge at the trial of Moore, but it has been a long time and, though years later I saw the movie, I cannot remember for certain. M. J. de Verteuil played Moore with gusto and conviction, and Robert Azar, I believe, played the cowardly Richard Rich. Michael, I believe, played his competitor as Chancellor, Cardinal Wolsey. I cannot recall who played Henry VIII or Roper, the son in law, or the other parts.

For me, the most memorable thing about the play was that two lovely young women, a Fanfan and a Myling, played Moore's wife and daughter. I do not recall the school ever before having allowed girls to act in a school play. The two ladies were so lovely, I recall, that each evening when practice finished, all the windows of the school were stuffed with young male faces peering out for a glimpse of them as they got into the cars that came to collect them. They came from a convent in St Augustine to practice for several evenings after school. It must have been a terrifying experience for the two of them, but they carried it off with style and panache. I knew then and for all time that women were superior beings to men.

Don
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Names left right for the first photo: (remember to go to the Blog page for this old photo)

Richard Clerk, Rafael Echeverria, J.Fernanadez, Miss Myling Achong, Michael J. de Verteuil, Miss A. Rostant, Peter Tang, Don Mitchell, Allan Apo, Micheal Azar. Squatting Robert Azar.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The following was taken from Mount Inside April 1964.

DRAMATICS

Sometime in May the curtain will once again go up as the College presents “A Man For All Seasons”; under the direction of Brother Oswald. The play is a study of the feud which rose between Sir Thomas More and King the Eight of England.
The part of King Henry, a rather crude young man; is fittingly taken by Paul Zeven, who we remember has acted in the last few plays. The part of More is taken by M.J. de Verteuil and that of the “Common Man” by R. Azar who seems at home in this type character. The Duke of Norfolk is played by D. Mitchell; Cromwell by M. Azar; William Roper, More´s son in law, by P.Tang; Richard Rich by R. Clerk; Cardinal Wolsey by J. Fernandez; and Archbishop Crammer becomes an American in A.Apo. The part of the Spanish Ambassador is portrayed by R.Echeverria and his attendant by N. Smith.
St. Joseph Convent has again provided for the female character. Alice, More´s wife, is played by A. Rostant; the woman, by P. Warfe; and Meg, More´s daughter by M. Achong.

Names left right for the second photo

Robert Azar, Richard Clerk, Michael Azar, Don Mitchell, Allan Apo
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As you can see there is a discrepancy on the names that I have and the recount in Mount Inside.
King Henry or Paul Zeven ,
N. Smith the embassador´s attendant
Miss P.Warfe the other woman.
I would like to correct the name list, who remembers.
Also it would be interesting to hear from the actors on this matter.
Anyone knows the where abouts of any of the actors??
Their email address or FAX???.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here I am continuing the who is where, thanks to Roger Henderson:

8. Jean de Meillac has just gone into real estate after heading up a radio station
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
RE: Circular No.490, The Abbey School MSB
Saturday, April 2, 2011 7:19 PM
From: "Anthony Cintra" <celandaal@hotmail.com>

Dear Ladislao,
I should have sent this e-mail at the end of last year thanking you for all you have been doing and continue to do, and apologise for not doing so earlier.
I was in Hamburg for most of December hearing and determining a case.
We delivered the judgment on 22 December and no need to tell what the situation was at major European airports.
The long story short is that I got home on Christmas day at 5.30 pm.
The journey-Hamburg to Amsterdam to Toronto to Trinidad was to put it mildly and adventure (delays and a near airplane collision at Lester Pearson).
Then a trip to Vancouver and Hamilton the first for surgery to my right hand and the second to visit our third daughter and family then it was back to Hamburg for the 31 session of the Court.
Is that enough of a reason?
Thank God life continues.
In Trinidad its seems to be one situation after another am happy that I am not a politician or part of the political syndrome.
Every three years the terms of seven judges of the International tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS) come to an end I have been nominated as a candidate for the Caribbean and Latin American Region.
There will be two vacancies.
There are two candidates but one still has to get 75% of the States present and voting i.e about 115 votes.
The campaign began last year.
It is an experience.
By the way a term is nine years.
Once more my apologies.
Kind regards,
Anthony(Lucky)

-------------------------------------------------------------------.
  ROBERT DUMAS
23 May (11 days ago)
Hi,
As I was thinking back of my days under PG I began to think about my days at the Mount in a rather sombre mood and just whimsically wondering why good times like those have to go by so quickly, thanks for memories and for persons like yourself who keep them alive.
Here are some of thoughts from one of my senior moments:
The shortcut with all those juicy
Whatever became of Tom??
Remember those soft drinks and snacks on a Saturday afternoon, Tom (if he took to you) would always ensure that your boots had a good 'dubbing' put on them so as to keep the leather pliable.
I also recall being there when the swimming pool was being built and being in awe looking down from the tennis courts at the opening of the pool.
And oh those long waits to see if Bro Vincent would allow us to walk back to the Abbey School the long way around, that was always the highlight on a Saturday, and my days as a proud St Francis member ( the best).
I was there also when they constructed the Seminary and the new Refectory (although I never had the pleasure to eat in it) I remember the bread and food fights at the old refectory, we would get there via the steps under the dormitory pass the big boys room and tread carefully along a path on the side of the mountain, pass the woodwork shop where I got mt 'cedar' tops made.
When I was sent to the dorm by the library I remember Prada was the big boy in charge of my dorm, what a great guy... and then there was Mr. Taliban..Fr Eugene, what a guy.
I was one of the first boarders he sent into the showers next to the basket ball courts cold as hell, but he took a pleasure in that fact I am sure,
whatever became of Pancho.. and Swami, Baby Joe sat in front of me in Prep A at the time, then there was RugHead Fr Augustine hmmm/ever the serious guy and last but not least our favourite algebra teacher Mr Yip Choy I believe his name was, he would appear out of nowhere on a Friday afternoon and enter Prep A, in which was the longest blackboard I have ever seen..he would begin to write sums on the board and then proceed to climb the stairs of the 'pulpit' in the far corner of the class from which he would survey all and sundry, needless to say as he entered the class I would whip out my favourite too which was three pencils strapped together and begin to write my line...the way of the transgressor is exceedingly difficulty indeed, indeed, indeed, it happened every Friday that I would be given penance on the Saturday.
I believe in the time I spent on the Mount I must have seen about 6 movies, penance like rain.
Have you any information about Stephen Malin Smith, Wayne Oconnor, David de Boehmbler these were some of the posse at the time which was the bane of Fr. 'Taliban' Eugene.
It was good to be allowed to have graced the hall of the Abbey School and to have the memories, maybe others can be encouraged to reminisce a bit, the young ones do not know half of it Thanx
Robert Dumas

--------------------------------------------------------------------------.
 ROBERT DUMAS
30 May (5 days ago)
You are correct, the old refectory was by the bells, at the time the senior boy in charge of our table was 'turtleback' galt...
What is the news on his brother 'swami', and yes 'boxhead was with us at the time..
Good memories you will agree.
Keep up the good work.
Robert
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Maurice Albert
Thursday, July 2, 2009 1:45:38 PM
From: Nigel P. Boos <nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca>
BOOKIE,
THANKS FOR THE INFO.
SEEMS LIKE YOU'RE THE POINT MAN FOR ALL THINGS ST. LUCIAN.
GRATEFULLY,
Nigel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2-Jul-09, at 7:19 AM, Richard Johnson wrote:
The address I have is maurice.albert@hotmail.com,
-------------> ----- Original Message -----.
From: "Nigel P. Boos" <nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, July 01, 2009 9:11 PM
Subject: Maurice Albert
Bookie,
I spoke with Alan Lang at a party in Whitby, Ontario, this evening. I asked about you and about other connections I have with MSB Old Boys.
And then I asked about Maurice Albert.
Unless I'm mistaken, he told me that you were married to Maurice's sister.
Now, isn't that interesting!
I'm trying to get the email address of Maurice for the MSB database, and I wonder if you could help me with his email address, please.
Thanks in advance for all your kind help.
Nigel

------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
Mount Inside No. 10 page 18
60CV0004GUYANA, another from the trip to Guyana.
72UN0001CLASS1972, The lost memory class, nobody remembers being there.
80JG0001RACECAR, John Gioannetti with the winning car?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.