Saturday 9 July 2011

Circular No 505







Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 9 July 2011 No.505
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
Any news on ALLAN DATE, the last known address is in KOREA??
Here I am including information on the Association, it is alive and ready to work with the ALUMNI.
But it needs help, it is easy to complain about the existing officers or directors but we must work and get together to be able to elect a new set.
I suggest that there must be a minimum of 100 members to be able to make an election.
Glen, what is your opinion?? And we need the opinion of others, specially those that have retired from the 40 hour work week.
Don´t look at me, jajaj, I am still doing over 40 hours.
We are about 1500 member strong but only know for sure that 500 exist, Nigel can confirm this.
Through the years that the Circular has been published the first comers have retired from writing and lately even the regulars have retreated.
As for the Circular, I believe that I can make it thru till the 10th Anniversary.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 4 of May 2002. Circular No.25
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends
I am a bit late with this one but we had a farewell party last night for a sister in law that left is leaving for Miami, Florida today. Usually I sent this on Saturday afternoon so that you might be able to read it in the evening.
Please bear with me those that have written to confirm their email address, as I shall answer as soon as possible, my policy is to answer each of you. Thank you before hand for the good wishes and longevity for the circulars (or is it the writer)!!.
Do not forget to visit our, (your) web page www.theabbeyschool.com, an all class msb web site, since last week it has an update date attached with the areas where these were made to facilitate the browsing. Check it out!!!
Now down to business, here is what Rafael Echeverria wrote, and I would like to share with you:
Ladislao .. you have made me evoke the happiest days of my life !!! ... Please send my regards to all ... specially Don Mitchell ... can you forward this mail to him ? ... I hope he remembers me. Perhaps they are recall me as "Che-Ché" .. that was the nickname everybody called me by. Echeverría was too long to pronounce .. and difficult ... I took a lot of teasing in Mount for that .. from Baby Joe specially ... you meet all kinds of people in this life ... don´t you ? ... I suppose that's what Mount meant for a lot of us !!!!
Now I have five children (My second granddaughter is due April 18th). Claudia my eldest daughter (the married one) and my son Rafael live in Florida . I have been a lawyer for 27 years now ... and I have met so many people around the world thanks to my professional practice. And I have lived a wonderful life !!! .... I have a beautiful wife and five great kids ... My profession has reached very satisfactory levels and I feel proud of my work in life ... now ... at 54 !!! ... I am now getting ready for some big business opportunities ... it is time to meet your old friends !!! ... they can be your best partners !!!!
Thank You Ladislao .. please give my regards to ALL ....give them my phone numbers and e-mail ... I would really love to meet them all again ... that is just a great way to enrich life !!!!
Please make these comments part of your next Report !!!!
Blessings to ALL
Rafael Echeverría
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Continuing the Who is Where, thanks to Roger Henderson:
14. Ronald Lambkin lives in Nova Scotia
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This section of the circular lacks of newcomers!!!, you do not expect me to believe that outside Roger Henderson all of you have cut all the links with your msb school friends!!!
You might ask if I do not have any stories or short notes??. I am hoping to start brainstorming once the rainy season starts for a lighting of ideas. Meanwhile I expect that you would collaborate so that I may concentrate in organizing these circulars and the local Venezuelan group.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Sent: Wed, May 18, 2011 11:09:01 AM
Gentlemen;
Unfortunately I am committed to a Mediation (at the Dispute Resolution Centre in Westmoorings) in the afternoon of Wednesday 25th, and in addition I have promised to keep the afternoon of Friday 27th free in the event that the dispute is not resolved and the parties wish to continue with the mediation.
In these circumstances, assuming that the mediation is to continue, I am minded to indicate to the disputants that I will only be available from 2:00 PM on the Friday. That way I can meet with you at noon on Friday but will have to be able to leave office no later than 1:15 PM. Hopefully an hour and 15 minutes would be adequate for us to agree on the way forward.
Please confirm whether you will attend at 12 noon on Friday 27th. Thanks in anticipation.
Dennis Gurley
----------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Joseph Berment-McDowald [mailto:bermentmcdowald@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:09 PM
Subject: Re: Abbey School Alumni Association (ASAA) - The way forward.
Dear Gentlemen,
Not available this Saturday, nor on Monday, Tuesday or Thursday afternoons after 3:00 pm..
I would like to suggest that we meet on Wednesday of Friday either at noon or 3:00 pm
Joseph Berment-McDowald
------------------------------.
From: Chris Knowles <knowlescb@hotmail.com>
Sent: Tue, May 17, 2011 6:58:57 PM
Dennis,
Saturday at 1pm is fine, otherwise any day next week.
Your office is also OK for me, but I can make it to any other venue.
Regards,
Chris.
-------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 13:40:10 -0400
Hi Gentlemen Alumni, “Old Mount Boys” and Officers of ASAA;
I am pleased to confirm that (1) the resignation of Christopher (Chris) Knowles as Secretary, and (2) the appointment of his replacement James (Jimmy) Samaroo, have been registered at the Companies Registry. Meanwhile Chris continues to hold the post of Director together with Joe and me.
I am reminded from a review of the Articles of Incorporation of ASAA that its undertaking “….is restricted to the promotion of camaraderie between and the welfare of the alumni of The Abbey School…” (more particularly however as expanded in item 4 , the First Schedule of the Articles, a copy of which is attached to this e-mail). Since its incorporation in March last year the directors and officers of ASAA have only met once, namely on the 18th May 2010. At that meeting Peter Sammy was appointed as the Treasurer of the Association. I suggest that it would be useful for us to have a meeting to discuss, and hopefully agree, on the activities and main objectives (short term and long term) of the Association, and to determine the way forward.
Please indicate by reply to all if it would be convenient to meet this Saturday at 1:00PM, or next week at a date and time that is mutually convenient to the majority of us. I would be happy to make my office available for the purpose of the meeting. Furthermore I would be happy if other interested “Old Boys” could be persuaded (by invitation) to attend and make suggestions. For one, I would like to suggest that the number of Directors should be increased. In particular Ladislao Kertesz should be nominated if he agrees, and we should have at least one other T&T resident Director.
Thanks in anticipation of your encouraging and enthusiastic responses.
Regards,
Dennis Gurley
------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Joseph Berment-McDowald [mailto:bermentmcdowald@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 11:31 PM
Dear Dennis,
Please forgive the delay.
As I indicated yesterday James Samaroo will be our new secretary.
His address is 32 Southern Main Road Curepe.
He is a proprietor by occupation.
His mobile phone number is (868)6851185.
kind Regards,
Joseph Berment-McDowald
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 9:55 PM,
Don Mitchell CBE QC <idmitch@anguillanet.com> wrote:
Hope a few non-Trinidadians can make it to the meeting, as this should not be just a local association.
I want to roast green breadfruit on a small bonfire and burst it open on a rock and eat it with butter and salt under the tree just downstream from the reservoir once more before I die.
Is there no good event-organiser in Trinidad to whom we can sub-contract the holding of the next reunion?
Good luck to all.
Don
----- Original Message ----------------------------------
2011/5/19 Rafael Echeverría <reglaw@gmail.com>
Dear "Old Mount Boy" Mates !!!
I hope you have a successful meeting and the results are positive for the sake of building up our personal relationships for the future.
Memories of The Abbey School of Mount St. Benedict are a true blessing for all.
I am glad to say that under Dennis' guidance in that meeting, you will be in the best hands.
I wish I could be there ! GOD Bless you all !!!
Un Abrazo y Siempre Amigo,
Rafael (CheChe) Echeverría
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 8:00 PM
Subject: Abbey School Alumni Association (ASAA) - The way forward.
Dear Fellow alumni,
Please read the information below carefully.
We will be having a meeting on Friday at 12:00 noon at Dennis Gurley's office.
If anyone whom is not presently a committee member wishes to be involved in the future of the association please contact myself, Chris Knowles or Peter Sammy, so that your intended contribution to the effort can be considered. Space is tight and participation will be limited only to those willing to make a definite commitment to actively, forging a viable, sustainable future. Discussions will have to be brief and to the point.
Joseph Berment-McDowald
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
I hope that the disclosure of the Minutes does not ruffle feathers, but it may answer questions on the Association.
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
Mount Inside No. 10 page 25
71UN0001CLASS1972, another photo that needs to be reviewed by classmates.
79KM0001FBEKMA, Abbot Bernard and Kitty Marcus.
08UN1554UNKNOWN, as the CODE indicates, unknown.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.