Saturday 12 February 2011

Circular No 484


Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 12 February 2011 No.484
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
From here on, I shall be resending the old Circulars to complement your emails.
There has been a slow down on new information, I presume that all of you might have run out of time and or remembrances.
No worry, the Circular is ready to publish your DUES for this year. 
---------------------------------------------------------------.
Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 14 of December 2001. Circular No.4
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear friends, 
This one is to remember the Xmas holidays, now as then, we prepared to travel home to meet our families. Those that did not travel far it was a vacation with festivities, and those, especially those that had to travel by air, there was the excitement of the gifts that were bought on one or more Wednesdays when we were allowed to travel to Pos and shop. George Habib´s store by Marine Square, then make the bags, load the green Bedford truck and the VW buses and go to the airport for the flight. The excitement of seeing our parents and family at the end of the rip. Make up a lot of excuses for the poor qualifications and notes from Fr. Bernard. 
Additional new names that maybe someone can give me a clue as the email address, whereabouts, From V graduation date, nickname, and any information that might be useful to be used for the index that will appear in the reviewed web page. 
(Various names) 
This circular would commemorate the 41 year since our graduating from Form V in 1960. 
If you wish to get the earlier circulars, or include a friend, please write. 
I wish all of you a Merry Christmas and as a gift, that some of us would be able to meet and share past friendships. 
God Bless, 
Ladislao Kertesz
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Photo: Xmas card
Article:
Column: 
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
...23 enero 2011
From: Linda Mathias <lmathias310@gmail.com> 
Ladislao,
Thanks so much for your response. 
My husband does share what he remembers, but he has no photos, class pictures, etc.
Possibly, someone who attended MSB around the same time would be able to share their photos. 
Robert Mathias' email is robertomathias@charter.net
I will continue to persevere on this project. 
Thanks again.
Linda 
------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 4:43 PM, laszlo kertesz <kertesz11@yahoo.com> wrote: 
Dear Linda
Thank you for your email.
I do not have much more information on the school besides those that you have read thru the Circulars.
I took on the job of gathering CLASS 1960, my classmates and thru the time the Circular was the cohesive force to unite all classes.
Unfortunately all records have been lost at the Abbey.
I edit all the emails that I get and send them out weekly.
You provide all the information; please send me the curriculum vitae of your husband, and latest photo for a future Circular.
Maybe he can contribute by telling you about interesting events or photos of the time.
I shall look up the list for classmates you can contact.
Can you provide Robert´s email address??
God bless
Ladislao 
--------------------------------------------------------------..
From: Linda Mathias <lmathias310@gmail.com>
Sent: Sun, January 23, 2011 12:51:16 AM 
Ladislao,
I have been reading the circulars published about Mount Saint Benedict. 
They are very interesting because I am doing research because my husband attended the school from 1946-1950. 
His name is Donald Mathias. 
His brother, Robert Mathias also attended the school in 1950 for just 1 year.
I am interested in any information available during this time period. 
Don's cousin's Brian Gonsalves and Terrance Gonsalves also attended the school and I did see some information about them on the circulars.
Thanks in advance for any information which is available.
Linda Mathias
St Petersburg, FL 
--------------------------------------------------------------------.
Some more insights from John Gioannetti 
Bernard Shepherd, someone that beat me quite frequently. 
I was living in West moorings at the time playing in the yard with my Macaw and Parrot and my two children.
Bernard was on holiday from the North Sea off Scotland, and he stopped.
I told him to come in and have a beer.
I always remember Bernard loving beer.
He said he had to do something urgently and he would be back.
I really did not expect him to turn up.
Despite this I took some necessary precautions. 
Bernard's child was with him in the car, and he had born with down’s syndrome. 
I called my two boys and explained that if they did come to visit that the little boy was different than them.
No better no worse, and that if he could not keep up with them to be patient with him, and not to laugh at him or make fun of him. 
________________ 
My mother had a terrible temper, and I also had the brunt of it at home.
Here is an example, she one day touched the gate post backing the car out, the tiniest of scratches on the old chrome bumper.
For that I got a frozen steak in my head.
It was as if you had cut a hard boiled egg in half and crazy glued it to my skull. 
You think that is the only incident.
She once went behind my brother who is 7 yrs younger than I am, I flew at her and physically attacked her.
The only time I have ever retaliated physically to either of my parents.
I told her beat me but leave him as he was only a baby.
I got my wish. 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Have a great vacation
...16 JAN 2011
From: Nigel Boos nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca 
Hello, Kazim,
Nice to hear from you.
I hope you're having a great holiday and getting some nice photographs of the Seychelles.
If you get a good recipe for some Seychellian food, maybe you could send it to us.
Have a ball. 
Nigel 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2011-01-16, at 12:51 AM, kazim abasali wrote: 
Hi Ladislao, Nigel and Don,
Here I am in the Seychelles, islands in the Indian Ocean.
This was a vacation gift made to me by my eldest sister (who resides here), and her son, who is a pilot for the Air Seychelles airline.
He is now about to fly in Abu Dubai for another airline.
My regards to you all and the Alumni.
May the year ahead be one of blessings with your families and may we continue to grow stronger with our bonds of friendship and brotherhood.
Ladislao, may you continue to be nurtured and supported for your outstanding work over all these years.
And Nigel, may you too be blessed for all your database management skills and keeping the group informed or contacts.
Don, thanks again for keeping the blogs going with the circulars from Ladislao.
My wish is that the joy of service continue to shine bright in our hearts as we share with one another our journeys.
To all the Abbey boys, may we continue to be a mighty support to one another.
Take care my brothers
.......Kazim  
-------------------------------------------------------
 KAZIM ABASALI <kazim2u@hotmail.com>
Thursday, October 16, 2008 10:17:05 AM 
Please forgive me.
I believe I addressed you wrongfully by your last name.
I apologize to you.
At least that is what came up to me on the circular.
I now realize your first name is Kertesz.
In addition, in my other email to you, I forgot to include Ian Boos as someone who I have been corresponding with by email also.
Blessings to you Kertesz...
Kazim. 
(no problem Kazim, either is OK, ed.)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
KAZIM ABASALI kazim2u@hotmail.com
16 October 2008 10:08 
Hi Ladislao,
Thank you for the circular.
I am formally introducing myself to you, and I realize you have been receiving emails correspondence with me and other MSB old boys recently.
I am Kazim Abasali.
I attended MSB Abbey and lived there for 2 years; 70-72.
This was to complete my O"Level GCE exams.
I had attended Holy Cross College in Arima before coming to MSB.
My email address you now have kazim2u@hotmail.com
I would appreciate if you would include with me in your database, so other schoolmates can correspond with me.
I have already been corresponding with Winston Ramsahai, Niel Charles, Glen Evelyn, Hudson Mckoy, and Ian Gomes.
Ian and I were in the same class together.
On a personal note, from reading your circulars on the blog, I have realized the distinguished honour you and your group deserve for the long outstanding service to our old boys fraternity.
This is with respect to keeping alive the ongoing continuity of Abbey life in terms of lifelong friendships with our old boys.
You may be humble about this, however, I personally want to recognize you and the group and say how I appreciate what you have done and continue to do as a labour of love.
I have been instrumental in doing this for another Alumni - Holy Cross College, but no way as long as you have.
Thank you so much for your dedication, hard work and for this love for us that is expressed in what you do.
Blessings to you and the group......
Kazim Abasali. 
--------------------------------------------------------------.
Patrick Baichoo
17 Mar  
Hi Ladislao and others,
Here are my pics of the mini reunion.
I humbly apologize for not sending them out before this time.
I have lots of excuses for not doing so, but I will refrain from using any.
Better late than never. 
Ladislao, your comment of me not wanting to write spurred me to write.
Yes, I do remember our study hall connection.
I was the “lookout” for the patrolling padres who, as they approached us, I would give you a nudge and you would put it away, return your books to the desk and become fully involved in your studies.
After the patrol had passed, you resumed your electronic work. 
You were busy making all sorts of electronic devices, one of which you constantly used in the yard, subtly turning it on and disrupting the radios of our buddies.
I don’t know if anyone (save myself) ever found out what you were doing and that you were the cause of their radios losing reception. 
Now this disclosure of mine about you will be known around the world.
Good luck handling the flood of emails to you from those who encountered the electronic static interruptions.  
On another note, I follow the email MSB chat and enjoy it very much.
Due to my only being at Mount for 1 year, I did not get the chance to make many long term friends. Nigel Boos is the only one I “buddied” around with.
Thank heaven he is in easy proximity to me. 
Stay well and hopefully we can meet face to face soon. 
God bless 
Patrick Egan Baichoo, Broker of Record/President
Maregan Realty Inc., Brokerage
416 439 5558
Visit us at www.mareganrealty.ca 
-----Original Message---------------------------------------------------
From: Ladislao Kertesz [mailto:kertesz11@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, March 15, 2009 7:20 PM 
Dear Cornel, Terrence
Good for writing about the meeting.
None of the others did as yet and I presume that they are not going to write either.
But I need to get the contents of the little box, photographed item by item.
Also scan the documents.
The general photos of the items make my mouth droll.
But they are not good for the general archive.
Especially the scout badges, only Jan has sent a couple of photos but the rest of the KING or QUEEN Scouts just do not remember anything and have nothing to show.
Not even memories of the Camps or others.
Finally I get to see Egan, after 49 years.
He sat next to me during the last year at the study hall at the back row left.
He is on the list since 2002 but is not inclined to write, I am glad he is well and has a beautiful wife, please tell him.
I can only ask you to be an intermediate for this job, as you are closer than I.
Also remember that if you get an interesting email, please FW it to me if you believe that it can forward the cause.
This is the "material" I talked about. 
--------------------------------------------------------------.
Now to the photos. 
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
Mount inside No. 10 page 4
65EW0003EWIGRP, Eric Williams and the Beatles.
03DM7105REUNION, John Gianetti, Rolph Hive, Gordon Mitchell, unknown
72HM0017HMABAND, Wayne Hackett, Hudson McKoy, Glen McKoy




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.