Saturday 6 August 2011

Circular No 509








Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. 
Caracas, 6 August 2011 No.509
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,
 We have news on Richard and Randal Galt, read below:
 But we missing the following gang members from the south., can you help???
Knox       Christopher
Knox       Dennis
Knox         Peter
Knox         Richard
-------------------------------------------------- 
Newsletter for past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.
Caracas, 2 of June 2002. Circular No. 29
--------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends, 
You read last week an article by Anthony Milne on the “Abbey library needs help”. 
Now it is my time to get hold of your attention, get hold of your chair!!!, I am going to rival the Trinidad Express´s journalist. Watch out Pulitzer!! An engineer is about to???. 
You might not believe me but I never saw this library, it has taken me 40+ years to find this out, can anyone help me to locate it???, Where was it in (1960) or is in (2002) the Library must be big???. Since there is only one computer at the Mount, then this is where it is located, because to track all the books, it is a big job. I wonder if Don Mitchell saw it in his last visit?.
The only library that I knew for good or bad was on the first floor of the school, situated over the driveway. This library was below the washroom of the dorms.
Why I say bad or good, notice that I changed the order!!!, it was because when we reached Form I we were required to read one book per month, if not we were penalized.
This was the bad part as many of us, strike out the bookworms, did not like to read and saw this as a punishment.
At the beginning a lot of us just borrowed and returned the book, just formalism, until Fr.Bernard asked part of the contents, he always knew the contents of all the books of the library, so we were admonished and this time you had to start the reading and of course finish it or be prepared for a poor English mark.
So you could not just borrow a book and return it at the end of the month, but you had to read it. I do not know if we invented speed reading, the Kennedys made it popular in the 1960s, but nobody mentioned us.
The Guns of Navarone?? H.M.S.Ulysses?? Any one remembers??? Maybe I did not write the title as it should be, but at least I remember two of the books that I read, of course no memory of the author, H.M.S. Ulysses had a blue cover???. By the way the Guns of Navarone was a good movie later on!!!. Anthony Quinn and the lot. Was there a movie on the other book???.
The good part was that it gave us the knowledge that we have used in reaching our objectives, thanks to Fr. Bernard´s and Fr.Gerome´s insistence, we became what we are as this helped our education. 
As a challenge I am going to make a trip to Trinidad and find this library, never is too late. Maybe I am going to ask Anthony Milne??? I am sure he did a lot of research on it!!.
This trip is going to be around August, September, maybe two weeks before classes officially start at the island.
I need your help with this trip, to be able to gather sufficient information for circular No. 40 and on!!!!. Just look at the number on this circular and you can safely bet on No.52 sometime in November.
---------------------------------------------------------
Continuing the Who is Where, thanks to Roger Henderson: 
18. Anthony Lucky is a judge of the High Court in Trinidad 
---------------------------------------------------------
(I have been to the Abbey a couple of times in 2010 and still the Library has escaped my visit, editor)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
information RE : Richard & Randal Galt
Monday, July 4, 2011 10:27 AM
From: "robert elias" <dmightytrini@tstt.net.tt>
Hello Ladislao,
How have you been ?
I have been receiving your e-mails on a regular basis, and, I must say that it is a delight to hear all about the Mount and it's old days.
Although, I only spent two years at the School, it was memorable years (1960-1961) for me.
I just wish to let you know that Randal Galt resides in Trinidad and our homes are very near to each other.
As for Richard Galt, he lives in Florida.
He is very successful in the field of Insurance and comes to Trinidad once a year or there about. 
His e-mail address is : richgalt@gmail.com 
If I could be of any further assistance to you, please feel free to ask.
                                                 Best Wishes,
                                                    I Remain,
                                                  Robert Elias,
                                                De Mighty Trini.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 07:47:26 -0700
Subject: Kristen Gransaull sent you a message on Facebook... 
Hey! He is doing great.
Do you want a recent photo or one from when he was in school?
Kristen
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
01 July 19:41
Dear Kristen,
How is your father, Richard??
I am the editor of the Circular of the Abbey School where he was a class mate of mine.
I don’t have any photo of your father and need the curriculum of Richard.
Can you help??
Ladislao Kertesz 
-------------------------------------------------------------.
IS LADISLAO OK?
Saturday, July 16, 2011 10:59 AM
From: "Nigel Boos" nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca
George,
It's strange how I get clues as to one or other MSB Old Boy.
Here it is now, in this email of yours, I suddenly am confronted with the fact that, apparently, there was once a student at the Abbey School named Peter de Morvay, for whom you have obligingly provided an email address.
I know I've heard Peter's name before this, but somehow, it has slipped my consciousness (old age, I guess) and I've never, until now, added him to the current database.
But now, I have done so.
Peter, if you get this note, please confirm for me.
And, if you don't mind, please let me know the last year for which you attended MSB.
Now, as to Ladislao, I have received a few emails from him (Circulars) recently, the last one dated June 25, 2011. (I've sent it to you.)
Best wishes to you and the family.
Nigel 
------------------------------------------------.
On 2011-07-16, at 10:09 AM, George Mickiewicz wrote:
Hi guys; 
Have not seen any newsletters since early May. 
Was wondering if Ladislao is OK? 
Did not want to bother him directly in case he has been very busy with other stuff. 
God bless,
George. 
--------------------------------------------------------------.
RE: LADISLAO IS OK
Monday, July 18, 2011 9:23 AM
From: "Demorvay Peter" <peter.demorvay@eni.com.ve> 
Fellow Mount boys.
Just for the record, both Ladislao and myself are still alive and kicking in this rapidly deteriorating country.
We meet occasionally with some of the other “old boys”, eat, reminisce and generally shoot the bull for a few hours.
Ladislao usually takes a few pictures, just to keep track of how fast we are aging.
As for the circulars, I believe he has run out of input for now.
After producing more than 400 circulars he deserves a rest.
As for myself, I finished Mount in 1962, with the 2 Georges, Mickiewicz and Iwaskiewicz, Gerhard Most and I believe also David Bratt.
After 40 years, I can’t remember who else was in my class.
Mostly Trini boys, not many Venezuelans.
To all those Mount boys still out there and listening,
God Bless.
Peter  
---------------------------------------------------.
From: Nigel Boos [mailto:nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca]
Sent: Saturday, July 16, 2011 10:29 AM 
George,
It's strange how I get clues as to one or other MSB Old Boy.
Here it is now, in this email of yours, I suddenly am confronted with the fact that, apparently, there was once a student at the Abbey School named Peter de Morvay, for whom you have obligingly provided an email address.
I know I've heard Peter's name before this, but somehow, it has slipped my consciousness (old age, I guess) and I've never, until now, added him to the current dataBase.
But now, I have done so.
Peter, if you get this note, please confirm for me.
And, if you don't mind, please let me know the last year for which you attended MSB.
Now, as to Ladislao, I have received a few emails from him (Circulars) recently, the last one dated June 25, 2011. (I've sent it to you.)
Best wishes to you and the family.
Nigel 
------------------------------------------------------------------.
Re: Please help us to identify, if you can . . . . .
Monday, July 18, 2011 11:25 AM
From: "Nigel Boos" <nigelboos@eagles-wings.ca
Good luck with this project. Please keep Laz informed as well.
Nigel 
---------------------------------------------------.
On 2011-07-18, at 10:41 AM, nchacha57@aol.com wrote: 
You are welcome Nigel, hope you and the family are well,
I am not on my comp as much as before, noticed my eyes are getting weaker and that could be the problem.
We need to plan the reunion for The Mount 100th anniversary next year,
I will start to work on it and try to get from info from the boys in T'dad,
I wrote to Joe Berment who does a very interesting program on radio on Tues and Thurs from 4-6pm, asking him to do program on The Mount inviting Fr Cuthbert as a guest,
no reply so far.
I will keep you up to date, all the best.
Neil 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
In a message dated 7/18/2011 10:33:50 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Thanks, Neil.
Getting there.
Have a great day.
Nigel 
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
On 2011-07-18, at 10:22 AM, nchacha57@aol.com wrote: 
4=Da silva..12=Sampath..10=Gangeram Rampersad..2=Zephryn Robinson.. 
(Need the codecheck on the photo to be able to make the correction, editor)
----------------------------------------------------.
In a message dated 7/18/2011 8:24:28 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
Gentlemen,
Ladislao has now presented us with a photograph of Abbey School students, probably from 1973, but we have no idea who these boys might be.
So far as I've been able to determine, (and I may be wrong - if so, please correct me), you were students at MSB during the 1972-1974 period, and you just might know a few of these boys.
If so, would you kindly identify them for us and send me a return email response with the names you suggest.
Thank you.
Nigel Boos
<73UN0002CLASS1973s495s504.jpg> 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
27 Jun 2011 
Dear Ladislao,
Strange but the last circular received is 495.
Thanks a lot for sending those.
Maybe I was plucked out of your emailing list; that would be sad.
Best regards,
Terrence Ferreira. [fb friend]  
---------------------------------------------------------
Re: Circular No.500, The Abbey School MSB
QNOISE@aol.com to me, reglaw
27 Jun  
Guys'
I recall one of the two girls in the play was an Austin, [not the White skin one] a sister to one of our Day Boys.
I could bet my life on that, Peter Tang and I always teased Austin about her; we both had eyes for her, however she was older than us, plus the whole school fell for her, I believe.  
Regards,
Terrence Ferreira  
------------------------------------------------------------------------------. 
Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
Mount Inside 6404 p04
11SC5565SFA, Sarkis Farchak
61UN0001CLASS1962, Please check this out.
59BF0011SPORTS, Your editor about to win.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.