Saturday 10 September 2011

Circular No 514







Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 10 September 2011 No.514
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

Other lost old boys:

Peters           Allan
Peters           Bill
Peters           Kirby
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Newsletter for the past alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.

Caracas, 6 of July 2002. Circular No.34
------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends,

This circular is to announce a special occasion occurring at the Mount St. Benedict.
It is on occasion of the publishing of a new CD, God of Music

I have annexed the details of the CD at the end of this circular so that I may keep order in things. The lyrics are enclosed as an attachment (10 pages long).

I received this from Dr. David Bratt:

1. The Committee is made up of Fr. Francis Alleyne O.S.B.,
Marlene Chin, Sharon White, Simeon Sandiford and Frank Bradshaw.

2. Orders for CDs can be placed at the Abbey. We will mail same to
overseas buyers at no extra cost.

3. We have had some TV and Press exposure, but are not spending money on actual advertising. The CDs will also be available through Music Stores and other Catholic outlets.

4. We need to raise in excess of TT$1m. to effect restoration and repairs to the Mount.

5. We are also planning a Fund Raising Lunch for 1,000 in September 2002, but is awaiting finalization of the venue. Will forward details later.

See attached is the invitation card sent to Dr. David Bratt.

The Bank checks are to be made to “ Incorporated Trustees of Mt.St.Benedict “, the address is, “ The Abbey, Mt.St.Benedict, Tunapuna, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I.”

Cost per CD: US $ 17.00 inclusive of mailing cost.
  
I hope that you would think of acquiring the CD as this would be a momentous event for all of us, I have not heard it so that I cannot comment on its content, but it must be good for it to have our beloved Monastery´s name on it.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Continuing the Who is Where, thanks to Roger Henderson:

23. Arthur Fido Reid is deceased.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have received a five page list of Venezuelan old boys which I am researching as to addresses and emails, I hope to get some more of our group together, but I need your help in sending me information and email addresses together with Who is Where two liners.

I wanted to ask for your forbearance as to the articles that others write and that those that I write. Sometimes I feel that I should censor the articles that would be controversial to some of you, but on afterthought I believe that this is for all oldboys and I have no right to cut or omit writings that I send to my friends just as those that I do not know personally.

Ladislao 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FROM: Glen Mckoy
Saturday, December 26, 2009 11:10 PM

Dear Ladislao, 
I know Joseph Berment very well, we were from the same time and good friends also.
He has worked hard many years ago at trying to get something going in Trinidad. 
All the guys in the association at the moment are from my time, except for Chris, Dennis and Peter, this has cut off many boys from other times, as many don't know the guys who are running things now, and feel like strangers, if they do see some of their classmates at these meetings. then they might get more involved. 
I think the leaders should be from your age group, older boys, so they can draw the older boys in Trinidad back to the fold.
If one is too busy, one should not commit to something that will require personal time, in getting many things done. 
We are at a stage, of making something or else, it will slowly melt away. 
I suggest we have a survey, looking for opinions of what others would like to see, what is Trinidad club agenda?? 
I think Berment can remain a Manager of the Trinidad Club, and that’s up to the members in Trinidad, but a President represents the international body of members. 
Trinidad to me is a puzzle; it’s not an easy fix. 
I have to find out something and think on this a bit, will get back to you. 
Thank you for your reply,
Glen..  
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2009 20:19:49 -0800

Dear Glen,
Thank you for the support.
There is no plan, as such.
I have no plan outside of getting something done; I have met with the "leader" as Joseph Berment has taken upon himself to be the autodesignated president.
The reason of his doing it is because there no one to move things, he is a leader, a must, but he is not the type to go down to detail level.
He is still working and does not have time for the details, but effectively he is good with the telephone.
During my time there, Chris was the person that took orders and got the daily business going.
Very nice classmate of mine, we graduated together.
He even drove me around using Toddy Ramsahai´s vehicle, which was on loan as Chris car was down in repair.
I talked to Winston Ramsahai thru telephone as he was in the US on a business tour, thanking him, as I never met Toddy.
Had long talks with Chris and he told me that he is working with the association just as Peter, Dennis, and Jimmy, out of love for the school.
Of course this is splendid but there need to be a motive other than love, especially if you are not currently on salary, in case of Chris.
Joseph has put in lots of hours for the cause, his ideas are not exactly ours but, if he leaves, there is going to be no leader.
He has agreed to step down as soon there is an election after having the association made formal.
I shall stop here, so that you may ask questions of make observations
God bless
ladislao 
-------------------------------------------------------------------.
FROM: Glen Mckoy
Friday, December 25, 2009 10:50 PM

Dear Ladislao, 
If you have to go to Trinidad, you should go once a plan is in action. 
We will cover the cost, we are the people I call upon to donate, also if you ever need USD tell me.
If you have problem with lodging, I can arrange that also, brothers from my time are really good, if I call on any of them, they will assist.
Now the brothers before me and after me, I cannot speak for.  
I agree that a replacement in the leadership is essential, Christopher Knowles sounds like a good choice, a good man also, and he can step in and hold the Alumni together until a proper vote is made. 
I think we can gain more members in Trinidad, if we could put in a better system of operation.50 USD a year, that is just right, I know I can get about 40 or more members to go with that, when the time comes for this action.  
By laws ect. we have a lawyer, he can check on this, and see what is workable for us.
Whatever we do end up doing, we must not fail, so we must know exactly what we will do. 
It will take a few emails, but we will succeed, I am glad to hear of a plan, it’s a start, it’s better than running around with our heads cut off.  ha ha, I like what you are saying.
When you were in Trinidad, I think you met Jon Golding, what part is he going to play in the new arrangement, if any?
I know we can also count on Ian Gomes in Barbados, he was quite upset with the present leadership, and many brothers have voiced their opinions to me in the past. 
So I am not speaking for myself but for many, at all times. 
Well I must rest now, too much turkey. 
ha ha. have a good one mi amigo. 
Cheers! later
Glen. 
----------------------------------------------------------.
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 12:39:12 -0400

Dear Glen
Yes, there is much to do before more of our associates leave us, ALUMNI.
I have been thinking to travel this year to TT, but I know that this would put pressure in the finances of the Association, so maybe we can work up something so that at least the lodging could be obtained free of cost.
I say this because under the circumstance we Venezuelans cannot get USD necessary to cover this.
But we can purchase the airline ticket, "for now" in local currency.
There needs to be a way to regularize the reunions in TT, specially taking into account that lots of ALUMNI have families there.
This must be managed from outside TT as I do not see any action and as you say there is a necessity of keep pushing.
Also since there is a need to have a salaried member of the Association to cover at least 4 hours work, there are quite a few ALUMNI left out of the list.
I would vote for Christopher Knowles, who is retired and some TT dollars would not be rejected for his free work upto now, to round out his month.
The rest of the members are working so it should be not a big deal.
What about 2000 TT dollars/month?? between 100 members = 20 per month?? just guessing. that would be 5 USD aprox. or 50 USD per year.
With one look at the TT phone book I managed to find at least 20 ALUMNI that are not on the email list.
So here are ideas for you to work on.
I would like you to send me the answer thru Kertesz12@yahoo,com, used in Association business.
Maybe we could get the bylaws of one of the large associations as the lions etc. and work something while time passes.
God bless
Ladislao 
---------------------------------------------------------------------.
2009/12/18 Glen Mckoy <mckoy43glen@hotmail.com>

Thank you Ladislao,
Always so good to read these articles. 
The one on Peter Gorinsky, what a story, I would like to hear more from this brother, the adventures of his life. 
The ending photo, just beautiful.

Ladislao, please, send me a note whenever, you think of it, what's on your mind. 
I need some directions, in general, what would you like to see, just picking your brains, I need to communicate, with you, we are at a cross roads. 
My actions have been random, many times on the spur of the moment, hopefully most were good.   
Nigel and you are over worked, and should be compensated, for office supplies, and general maintenance, up keep of the Circular and Records keeping.  
We are growing every month, these services are essential, in order for us to function and to stay as a group, and will not be taken for granted.
Full support must be given here.
We will address this in the New Year.  
It is working great and we do not want to lose it. 
Ladislao, if there is anything I can do to assist you, equipment you need, supplies, back up stuff, tell me I will see what I can do. 
Thinking of you mi hermano, the humble one.  
Best regards
Glen McKoy.    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
Mount Inside 6407 p0
65RR0001CLASS1968, tentatively called 1968, need names.
74SC0206RVI, Renny Villafana in Cumana
09GR0002GRA, Gangaram Rampersad
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.