Saturday 17 September 2011

Circular No 515









Newsletter for alumni of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. 
Caracas, 17 September 2011 No.515
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Friends, 
From the ALUMNAE written in Circular No.35, you can deduce that Latin was not my favourite subject.
I managed to survive all these years without it, and I am sorry that in the Catholic Church the requirement was abolished; now foreign priests use sign language to talk to each other, jajaja.
Looking for the following kids: 
Sampath       David
Sampath       Nathaniel
Sampath       Vernon
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Newsletter for past alumnae of The Abbey School, Mt. St. Benedict, Trinidad and Tobago, W.I. 
Caracas, 13 July 2002. Circular No.35
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear friends now a few lines on a friendly exchange,
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 of May 2002. 
Hi Ladislao,
We do not know each other as far as I know, but obviously we both went to MSB. I was there for 3-4 years as a junior and left in 1957/8 to go to England to finish my schooling.
Also, I just wanted to set your records right. My brother Alistair (deceased) never did attend MSB, I was the only "jailbird" from my family! I now live in Perth, Australia.
(Would have reached Form V in 1962 according to my calculations.)
Best regards.
Esmond Lange
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12 may 2002 
Ladislao,
Bernard Lange is a cousin of mine but I left Trinidad in 1970 so have lost touch as to what is happening with him, however, the people in Trinidad should be able to fill you in. I have kept in touch with Jon Golding over the years while passing through London and now he is back in Trinidad I am sure he could help. (According to Jon Golding Bernard passed away)
I graduated in 1963 from Douai College in England (another Benedictine establishment) and returned to Trinidad where I worked for Texaco until 1969 when I both got married and joined the Schlumberger organisation. I went overseas in 1970 and never returned to live in Trinidad, finally settling in Australia in 1995 after retiring from an International career with Schlumbeger that took me all over the world, including a number of years in South America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
I do keep in touch with other old boys but I would imagine that most of them are already known to you or are receiving your newsletter. Anyway, if I do come across anyone I will certainly pass your contact on to them.
Best regards,
Esmond
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
17 May 2002. 
Ladislao,
I was in the same class as Brian Lewis and Edward Lloyd and I think John Thavenot as well, but to tell you the truth my memory of those days are not all that sharp. Chris Date and Brian Lewis were also at school with me in England but I have lost touch with them now.
Leary and Richard O'Connor are both my brother's in law (married to my two sisters) so I see them regularly. Unfortunately, Anthony Llanos died of cancer a couple years ago.
I think I received all your circulars and no I do not have any photos from those days though I know Leary and Richard do as they spent many more years there. I will ask them to send you some.
Best regards,
Esmond
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fri, 17 May 2002. 
Ladislao,
I only know John Thavenot, but have not seen or heard from him in about 40 years!!!! I believe he lives in Queensland which is in Eastern Australia (the opposite side of the continent from me). The two only MSB boys I know and have addresses for are Leary O'Connor (gilleary@hotmail.com) and Richard O'Connor (peth9@ca.com.au). The are my brothers in law as they married my sisters and both live here in Perth. I will keep my eyes and ears open for any other old boys.
best regards,
Esmond 
-------------------------------------------
Continuing the Who is Where, thanks to Roger Henderson: 
23. Scipio Sooden lives in Barbados
-------------------------------------------
I have included last week’s photo of the invitation to purchase the new CD whose proceedings are going to be used to make repairs to the Monastery. (See Circular No. 34 )  I strongly advice that you not only purchase the CD but send a generous contribution to upkeep what was our home away from home for so many years, now that we can decide its merits.  
God Bless 
Ladislao 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Sunday, May 15, 2011 8:29 PM 
Ok, good, I agree. 
Now that we are going to restart, can you tell me the source of income of the association???
And tell me how can we fulfil the scope of the association as registered??
Maybe Winston Ramsahai should be contacted as he has some ideas on the matter.
God bless
Ladislao 
----------------------------------------------------------------.
From: dgurley@jdsellier.com dgurley@jdsellier.com
Date: Thursday, May 12, 2011, 12:53 PM 
Dear Ladislao;
Thanks for your e-mail.
I have accordingly proceeded to file the required Notice of Change of Secretary at the Companies Registry recording the retirement of Chris and the appointment of James in his place.
I note your comment about getting the Association activated and hope next week to speak to Joe, James and Chris for suggestions on the way forward.
In so far as I am aware the Association has not registered with the Board of Inland Revenue and is not likely to be given “charitable status” for some time.
I shall however look into the matter and shall report further in due course.
Dennis Gurley 
P.S. You may remember him, an old Mount boy, Gerald Kenny, he passed away yesterday following a bout of brain cancer. His funeral is tomorrow.
------------------------------------------------------------------.
From: Laci Kertesz [mailto:kertesz14@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 9:20 PM 
Dear Dennis
I wrote to you in Kertesz12 yahoo.com, that I agree and that let us get things going.
I am sure that we can get the Association going this year.
Keep me informed on the tax free status??
Ladislao 
-----------------------------------------------------------------.
From: dgurley@jdsellier.com dgurley@jdsellier.com
Date: Thursday, May 5, 2011, 2:15 PM 
Hi Ladislao;
Chris Knowles has resigned as Secretary of the company.
He has indicated that he is happy to stay on as a Director, at least for the time being.
Joe has suggested that Chris be replaced by James Samaroo as Secretary (see the e-mail from Joe to me below).
I have spoken direct with Chris and with James and they are in agreement.
Please indicate if you too agree, in which event I shall file the necessary form Notice of Change of Secretary at the Companies Registry.
Fondest regards,
Dennis Gurley 
------------------------------------------------------------. 
From: Joseph Berment-McDowald [mailto:bermentmcdowald@yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2011 11:31 PM 
Dear Dennis,
Please forgive the delay.
As I indicated yesterday James Samaroo will be our new secretary.
His address is 32 Southern Main Road Curepe.
He is a proprietor by occupation.
His mobile phone number is (868) 6851185.
Kind Regards,
Joseph Berment-McDowald
bermentmcdowald@Yahoo.com 
------------------------------------------------------------------.
FROM: Trevor Evelyn  
Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:45 PM 
LADISLAO,
With regard to your 2nd email I believe that I had a sketch of the old shack but to find it is another matter
Also a lot of info was in the book that Fr. Cuthbert was selling for $80.00 TT 
I have one of those but do not know where it is will look real good  ???? 
When I do will let you know right away  
I had two books but sent one to Cecil Ince give him one, he might know where his copy is.
I will get on it tomorrow
Trevor E. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------.
FROM: Trevor Evelyn  
Tuesday, May 10, 2011 5:25 PM 
Ladislao,
Regarding your circular No.494 and the old original building at the Mount it was on Mt. Tabor and not on White Stones. 
To get to the old place one had to go by the reservoir and to slightly to the right and up 
I hope that this is the right info.
Hope you and your family are in good health and everything is OK
Regards
Trevor  E.
1945 to 1949 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Monday, May 9, 2011 9:40 AM 
Angelo Bissessarsingh's Virtual Museum of Trinidad and Tobago - A Report on Mt. St. Benedict 
LAZ,
I don't know who wrote this, but he / she seem to have done a great job of research.
So far as I can tell, this is the most complete / accurate account of the establishment of MSB I've ever seen.
Perhaps you'd like to send this out to the guys.
Nigel

What a wonderful article!
A history of the Mount so we get some perspective of those who helped in the building of the entire MSB.
Thank you so much for sharing this article with us Ladislao and Nigel.
Blessings to you all and your families.
Keep up this good work that you are doing.
This newsletter and blog with all the emails from the boys all over the world is really the lifeblood of our Alumni.
I appreciate you Ladislao for keeping it going and Nigel for the database and Don for the blog.  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------.
Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:03 PM 
Dear Ladislao,
Thanks for the circulars. 
This one is quite interesting to me as I would like to know who is the person who lived in Santa Margarita, St. Augustine who wrote about the cocoa estate of ANTHONY VINCENTE GOMEZ? 
I lived on Santa Margarita Hill, St. Augustine. 
My father’s lands bounded with Mount St. Benedict. 
We could see the Mount from the back of our house. 
We attended some of the sports and swimming functions at Mount. 
Priscilla and I are Gregory Farfan’s sisters. 
Gregory used to be a day student. 
It would be interesting if that person lived there when we did. 
Our Dad’s family owned a lot of that land and developed it with roads and sold house lots. 
We still have shares in some of the land there. 
Gregory being the main shareholder. 
I left Santa Margarita 40 years ago to live here in Barbados and Priscilla lived in Venezuela and is now living in Colombia.
Kind regards
Annabella Johnson Farfan 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------.

Ladislao Kertesz at kertesz11@yahoo.com,
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Photos:
Mount Inside 6407 p1
57UN0001CLASS1961, 62, 63, please give me a hint.
11LK0001AFA, Annabella Farfan
11LK0001PFA, Pricilla Farfan
07RE0175GRP, Names please, remember that a photo without names is not even a landscape.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.